On February 3, 2009 I had to say goodbye to the person I had come to know as my best friend. This was not easy and at that time I didn't really know what I was about to get myself into. It was as if I had a blindfold on, not having any idea what the next 2 and half months would be like without him. Completely without him. I guess you could say I didn't fully comprehend the concept of going weeks without even hearing his voice. It was something I couldn't really wrap my head around, but at that point I was just bracing myself with attempts of having an open mind. It sounds quite miniscule to go 10 weeks without someone, but when that person is your best friend and at times your crutch, it was quite difficult. Just imagining what the next 10 weeks would look like, saying goodbye just flat out sucked. There is no pretty word I can use to describe that day. It is a day I will always remember. I can still remember everything about it. The weather that day, the car ride to portland, the room we sat in at MEPS, the smells, what I was wearing, what HE was wearing, and I can even bring back the same feeling I got in the pit of my stomach that day if I just simply think back to it. I remember sitting in that little room waiting to say our goodbyes. It was torture really. I wanted nothing more than for time to go slowly, but at the same time I wanted to just get it all over with. The anticipation killed me. Well, as you know a "time stopper" has yet to be invented, so yes, the time did come to say goodbye. I don't think i've ever squeezed him so hard. Fighting our tears, we succeeded in the first of many goodbyes we will endure in this roller coaster of a chapter. It was off to boot camp for him, and 10 weeks filled with many ups and downs for me...
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Saying Goodbye (the first of many)
On February 3, 2009 I had to say goodbye to the person I had come to know as my best friend. This was not easy and at that time I didn't really know what I was about to get myself into. It was as if I had a blindfold on, not having any idea what the next 2 and half months would be like without him. Completely without him. I guess you could say I didn't fully comprehend the concept of going weeks without even hearing his voice. It was something I couldn't really wrap my head around, but at that point I was just bracing myself with attempts of having an open mind. It sounds quite miniscule to go 10 weeks without someone, but when that person is your best friend and at times your crutch, it was quite difficult. Just imagining what the next 10 weeks would look like, saying goodbye just flat out sucked. There is no pretty word I can use to describe that day. It is a day I will always remember. I can still remember everything about it. The weather that day, the car ride to portland, the room we sat in at MEPS, the smells, what I was wearing, what HE was wearing, and I can even bring back the same feeling I got in the pit of my stomach that day if I just simply think back to it. I remember sitting in that little room waiting to say our goodbyes. It was torture really. I wanted nothing more than for time to go slowly, but at the same time I wanted to just get it all over with. The anticipation killed me. Well, as you know a "time stopper" has yet to be invented, so yes, the time did come to say goodbye. I don't think i've ever squeezed him so hard. Fighting our tears, we succeeded in the first of many goodbyes we will endure in this roller coaster of a chapter. It was off to boot camp for him, and 10 weeks filled with many ups and downs for me...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment